Monday, November 14, 2011

Pulmonary Embolism

A month ago, I would not have had any clue what a pulmonary embolism was.  But a lot of things have changed in the past month.

The week after Carter was born, we spent our days getting ready for his funeral.  It was a surreal experience - I went from eagerly awaiting my son to planning his good-bye.  The abruption and delivery left me physically and emotionally drained, so when I started to tire easily I didn't think much of it.

The morning of Carter's funeral I took a shower with the water as hot as I could stand it.  I cried and cried until I couldn't handle the water anymore.  As we got ready for the day, I started to feel light headed and dizzy.  I chalked it up to the hot shower and my dread for the day.  As the day wore on, I felt worse and worse.  I tried to push how I was feeling out of my mind. It was my son's funeral - I had to be there.  I had been looking forward to seeing him since I said good-bye at the hospital.   I needed to see him.  So I went on with the day.

After the funeral I found myself with a line of people wanting to hug me.  I am thankful for all of the support, but by the end of the hug-line I could barely stand.  I snuck away to sit with a friend as soon as I could.  Sitting with her, she told me that "the friend in me wants to give you a hug, the nurse in me wants you to go to the doctor".  As I sat with her, my vision got blurry and my heart started to race.  The parish nurse checked my blood pressure which was elevated but not dangerous.  Once again, I chalked it up to the day.

The next morning as we were getting ready, I gave in to my symptoms.  I could barely see, and was extremely dizzy.   After dropping Liv off at daycare I had Shawn bring me to the ER.

After some tests and a scan, the emergency room doctor came in and told me that I had clots in my lungs. I still didn't understand what a big deal this was.  Pretty soon I had my midwives (and an angel named Dawn) checking on me, and everyone was telling me how lucky I was that I had come in.  At some point it hit home that a PE was not to be taken lightly.   I have never been so scared in my life (and still am).

That first night in the hospital was rough.  All I could think about was Shawn and Livie.  I don't know how to articulate all the thoughts I had that night, but I am thankful that the heparin did what it was supposed to do and thankful that I got to the hospital in time.

Going forward, I need to be on warfarin for 6ish months.  That seems like an eternity.   I feel like my life will be in a holding pattern for the next six months.   Blood tests (for clotting disorders) need to wait until I am off of the warfarin and the hematologist won't even discuss a possible future pregnancy until the results are back.

I don't know where to go from here.  Even though I am not emotionally ready for another pregnancy, everything in me wants to be pregnant yesterday.  I know it is the hormones and my heart's desire to be snuggling my sweet baby, but I can't shake the need to plan for another baby.   But I am not healthy.  I need to take time - time for my body and heart to heal.   I am struggling to accept that this is my life now.  My son died and I am not healthy.  How did I get here?

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca - it's sarahlindsay (from TN). I feel like anything I can say in this comment feels cliche and trite, but I have thought of you so much and my heart breaks for you. Thank you for sharing your story and your grief, as hard as it must be. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete