Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Letters to Livie

Bad things don't just happen to other people. They happen to us too. 2011 has done a fine job of making sure that I know this.

I have always had the intention of writing letters to Livie, so that she would have something should I not be around. It was an idea I got before she was even born, from some Lifetime movie where a little girl's mom died. But it has always been just a good intention. I have scribbled out notes here and there, but never to the extent that I intended.

When I was in the hospital with the PE, I was scared and so regretful that I hadn't written Liv her letters. The middle of the night what-ifs in a hospital are awful.

So, I now have my own tradition for Livie's birthday. Last week, I bought cards. Lots and lots of cards. From "Happy 4th Birthday" to "Congratulations on the birth of your baby" and everything in-between.


I am going to spend the coming weeks writing letters for each card. Then, every year when her birthday comes around, I intend to update the letters that need updating. Writing to her has taken more time and made me cry more than I expected. I am hoping that by telling the Internet my plan, it will help hold me accountable. Hopefully Livie never needs to see these letters, but it brings me an odd sense of comfort to know that they will exist.

In more upbeat news, we have been busy taking down fall decorations around the house, and putting up winter ones.  (Carter's swing is still sitting where the Christmas tree traditionally goes, so I have a feeling it may be awhile before the tree goes up.)  We made snowflakes last night.  The three of us each cut out our own snowflakes, and then Livie asked me to help her make a baby one for Carter. This morning she taped them up on the cabinets of a bench that is in our entry way.

I took these pictures all within a minute or two of each other.  All with the same settings, and no flash.  The lighting hitting the bench was no different for any of the doors.  I retook all 4 pictures several times, trying to get the cabinets to look similar in all the pictures.  Each picture turned out the same every time.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say hi and that I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I found your blog via the Loss board - I accidentally was there instead of the other loss board. I have a blog but haven't shared any of my story there (and probably won't), and while my story doesn't compare to yours, my heart breaks for you just the same. Livie is an absolute angel - I read everything you've posted and couldn't help but think that you all are so lucky to have two perfect children. It's just so unfortunate and unfair that one cannot be here on Earth with you. I don't know why he was called home so soon, but I pray that you all will find peace over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog through a website (you probably know which one!) and I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your family's loss of Carter.My heart breaks for you. I so admire your strength in dealing with this and with sharing it with people. I wish you peace and happiness from here on out. And that is amazing about that picture, he is truly an angel in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most amazing series of pictures I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete