Sunday, December 18, 2011

Signs

On Thursday, a friend asked if I had ever seen a ghost (I haven't) and the conversation eventually turned to 'signs'. My only contribution to the conversation was a comment that every night I pray for the chance to see Carter in my dreams, but it never happens.

I am not sure what I think about signs, or the thought that loved ones who have passed can communicate with us from Heaven. After all, I was always taught that Heaven isn't about us, but about God.

But, I do know that I have a set of snowflake pictures that I can't explain. And, I know that I had a very interesting night Thursday night.

After getting home from work on Thursday, I started getting a horrible stomach ache. By the time I went to bed at 11:00, I was curled up in a ball with one of the worst stomach aches of my life. At the time, I compared it to the feeling I had when I went into labor with Carter.

I woke up a couple hours later - at the exact same time I woke up the night I went into labor with Carter. I couldn't sleep, so I got out of bed and curled up with the Internet in our living room. My stomach was in a knot and I had pain shooting through my lower back. As I debated calling my doctor, I thought I heard something. But it had to have been just Shawn and Livie who were both snoring away in their respective beds.

Then, there it was again -  a jingle bell.  I looked over at the Christmas tree, and it was ever so slightly rocking back and forth (like the after effect of someone having bumped it).  All the ornaments were swaying and one of them fell off.

We have no pets. No drafts or anything else.  I could not figure out what caused it.

Shortly thereafter my stomach ache faded and I went back to bed.

I didn't think too much of the mysterious falling ornament until I was picking up last night (yes, I left it laying under the tree for two days). I remember Liv hanging the ornament on the tree when we decorated, but I have no idea where we got it or who it was from. When I lifted the ornament I saw what was written on the front - "Most Loved Mom"

I'll admit that I cried when I read it.

I am still not sure what I believe about signs, but I can't explain Thursday night.

2 comments:

  1. What an strange and amazing series of events. I think it's safe to say your boy is looking down on you from Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got chills reading this post. I do believe that our loved ones are always with us...I think your sweet little boy was telling you he loved you. I found your blog from TN. Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss.

    ReplyDelete