Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Crazy aunt Kathy*

Every family has a member that is a little 'out there'. Some families have more than one.

Somewhere in my extended family tree lives crazy aunt Kathy. She is a little eccentric, a little out of touch with reality, and very damaged. You can see it in her eyes and hear it in the way she talks about herself. Sometimes i feel like she has so much pain inside of her that it affects her ability to function as a rational person.

Crazy aunt Kathy lost her mom some years ago. I am not sure how long ago her mom passed away, but I know it has been more than 10 years. She will be the first to admit that the loss of her mom still affects her deeply every day. Though I never had the privilege of meeting her mom (who I hear was amazing) every Christmas gift I have received from her has involved a picture or other memory of her mom. Kathy's mom's memory consumes seemingly every facet of Kathy's life - to the point of disability.

Often times in the past two months I have felt so overwhelmed by grief that I too found it disabling. During those times, I always wonder if it is truly possible to feel better. Even just by the tiniest bit. I have cried myself to sleep countless nights (though 71 would be a good guess) and searched for the light at the end of the tunnel. In the back of my mind I always think of Kathy, and how I don't want to become her. I want to grieve, but not wallow. I want to cherish and remember Carter, but not become so consumed with his memory that I can't function.

Friends (both old and new) reassure me that one day the pain won't be so overwhelming. It will always be there but not as raw as it is now. One morning I will wake up and realize that I haven't just had a good day, but a good week or month. I have to endure the heartache now so that I can live my life later. Enough people have told me this that in my head I know it must be true, but I have questioned it in my heart.

Today though, was refreshing. I got up, got us ready and out the door on time. Our first stop was the doctor (where my INR was less than ideal) then off to daycare and work. At work, I had a productive day and even managed to mention that Carter had passed. All without tears - not even a moment where I had to fight them back.

When I sat down to write tonight, I was going to write about my tear-free day. And then this evening while talking to a friend, she asked about how Christmas went. And she talked about Carter. Cue the tears. But when they stopped, I didn't feel quite the sense of despair that I usually do. The evening went on, and I was still able to function.

I have no disillusions that this is the end of the period of horrible grief. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. But I feel like I got a glimpse into 'someday'. Someday when there are more good days than bad. I almost feel like I should feel guilty for having a good day. But I don't - I know that Livie and Shawn need me to have good days. And to be honest, it was kind of a relief for me. One day when I didn't feel like I was going crazy.

*I changed her name to make me feel less guilty about writing about her. 

 If you're going through hell, keep going.  ~Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment